Why Use Sealing Hardware?
In the industrial sector, sealing hardware plays a critical role in ensuring components are securely fastened within a system and preventing contaminants—such as liquids and gases—from moving through the sealed area. Depending on the type of hardware—e.g., screws, nuts, bolts, and washers—and design employed, industry professionals can also take advantage of additional functions and features.
The following blog post provides an overview of some of the benefits of using sealing hardware, as well as outlines the types of sealing hardware available at APM Hexseal.
Benefits of Using Sealing Hardware
When exposed to variable internal and external pressures and high vibration levels, fasteners in fluid systems can experience improper or inadequate sealing that leads to the leakage of process fluid and loss of pressure. These effects, in turn, affect the integrity and efficiency of the process and the performance and stability of the system—ultimately leading to lower productivity, greater downtime, and larger investments into maintenance and repair operations.
For situations where regular fasteners are unable to prevent the unintentional flow of fluids, sealing hardware serves as an excellent solution. The specialized fasteners are designed to contain and prevent contaminants, such as air, dust, water, and lubricants, from leaking out of or into sealed areas of a system. In addition to this primary purpose, specific types of sealing hardware may also perform other functions. For example:
- Sealing screws and bolts, such as Seelskrews® and Seelbolts®, can be designed to perform in environments regularly exposed to high levels of vibrations and impact
- Sealing nuts, such as Seelnuts®, can feature designs capable of withstanding significant internal and external pressures
- Sealing washers, such as Seeloc® washers, are available in heavy-duty variations that endure higher torque values without experiencing excessive damage or wear
Regardless of the type of sealing hardware employed, ensuring it performs its critical function necessitates choosing the right solution for the system. Proper selection entails considering several factors regarding the particular system—such as process fluids and operating pressures and temperatures—and sourcing quality products from a reputable supplier. Fortunately, APM Hexseal offers several sealing solutions suitable for use in a wide range of operating conditions.
Sealing Hardware From APM Hexseal
At APM Hexseal, we understand that our customers often need more than a fastener for their industrial equipment. In addition to holding system components together, they require a solution that prevents process fluids—whether in gaseous or liquid form—from leaking in or out. As the first designer and manufacturer of self-sealing fasteners, we offer a number of patented solutions, including:
- Seelskrews and Seelbolts. Our proprietary hardware is specially designed to withstand high vibrations and repeated impact—serving as reliable seals against liquids and gases—including in applications that involve constant vigorous motion.
- Seelnuts. These hardware components are particularly useful for equipment exposed to exceptional internal or external pressures, such as hydraulic and pneumatic systems. They feature threads molded directly into the rubber of the interior surface, a design that allows them to form a positive seal between the threaded section and the contact surface. Their exceptional sealing ability eliminates the need for gaskets, sealing compounds, or other sealing components, thereby reducing the overall cost of hardware for the system. In addition, their superior performance saves both time and money on repairs and downtime. These qualities result in more reliable and cost-effective equipment. They are compatible with conventional fasteners like screws, bolts, and studs.
- Seeloc® Washers. Our self-sealing stainless steel washers are bonded on one side with silicone rubber, enabling them to endure pressures up to 100psi.
- Heavy-duty Seeloc washers. Our new line of heavy-duty washers withstands torque values at least 50% greater than our original Seeloc Washers. Wear and pressure resistance at this level reduce the need for frequent maintenance and repairs on high-powered equipment.
APM Hexseal’s UL Certification
Underwriters Laboratories (UL) is an internationally recognized safety consulting and certification organization approved by the United States Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) to perform safety testing, inspections, and audits of new technology. By achieving and maintain UL certification, we aim to meet higher safety, security, and sustainability standards when developing our innovative sealing products. As many of our patented solutions are UL recognized, they are certified to be compliant with some of the most stringent industry requirements.
For additional information about sealing hardware or assistance with a specific project, ask the experts at APM Hexseal.