Custom Elastomeric Molding Capabilities
Since 1947, APM Hexseal has been 100% focused on the development and production of internal and external sealing solutions for electrical and electronic applications, from relatively simple designs to complex geometric configurations, many requiring bonding to metal components. By drawing upon our experience with precision transfer and compression molding using a wide range of elastomers, rubber-to-metal bonding and coating treatments, we developed an effective and efficient process that takes a custom seal request from concept to production. The resulting solutions are rugged, reliable, and completely tailored to customer specifications. Read on to find out how our custom process guarantees the delivery of a tight and long-lasting seal.
An Overview of APM Hexseal’s Custom Process
Our process begins the moment we receive the signed contract. Below we outline the key stages:
- We gather as much information as possible about the customer’s application and goals. This step varies from project to project; some customers come to us with a preliminary design ready to go, while others have only a vague concept of their sealing requirements. No matter where they fall on this spectrum, we work with them to build a thorough profile of their needs and wants.
- Once we have a full picture of the seal concept, we begin the design process. Our engineers review the customer’s profile so they can recommend materials, secondary services, and other considerations that ensure the product performs as intended. When the preliminary design is complete, we present a 3D CAD model to the client for approval.
- After the design is approved, we produce prototypes to test for functionality and compliance with customer specifications. When we are fully satisfied with the prototype’s performance, we send it to the client for review and authorization.
- Finally, approval in hand, we begin the manufacturing process.
We are fully committed to seeing each product through from design to production, meaning we craft our own tooling, mold our own products, and perform our own secondary services in-house. Our fully outfitted machine shop allows us to do everything on-site, preventing the back-and-forth activities that come from outsourcing. This “all under one roof” philosophy means that we can be 100% confident in the craftsmanship of our components, and our clients can be satisfied that they’re being taken care of from start to finish.
Benefits of APM Hexseal’s Custom Process
By partnering with us for their custom sealing needs, our customers benefit from our:
- Experience: When customers contract with us, they contract with a knowledgeable and experienced team of engineers, designers, and manufacturing experts who work with them from day one to develop a successful product.
- Performance: Our custom process ensures that the entire manufacturing process is tailored to the customer’s unique application. In doing so, we develop a product that not only performs well but one that fully meets all applicational requirements, whether that means corrosion resistance or EMI/RFI shielding.
- Quality: Our custom process is all about quality. By maintaining oversight at every stage of production, we ensure that our products hold up to the highest standards. We can provide products that comply with ISO 9001:2015, Dodd-Frank, REACH, RoHS, and other industry standards. In addition, we test all products in-house and maintain relationships with external certification agencies for customers that require specific product certifications.
- Simplicity: One of the greatest benefits of our process is the simplicity it offers to a customer’s manufacturing operations. Rather than working and communicating with separate partners for each manufacturing stage (e.g., design, tooling, manufacturing, packaging, etc.), customers have a single point of contact from design to production.
- Control: Along the same lines, our custom process also increases the level of control the customer has over the project. Since every service is handled in-house, they have direct input into quality, cost, performance, and timeline every time they call their project manager. No more back-and-forth, no more headache—they’re completely in control.
Custom Sealing Solutions From the Experts at APM Hexseal
Whether working from a preliminary design you have provided or creating a new design from scratch, APM Hexseal’s experienced design team will be at your side, assisting you in the development of a reliable, cost-effective product that meets your applications unique requirements.
For additional information about our custom seal solution process and how it can benefit your next project, contact us today.