In the aerospace and defense industries, sensitive electronics play a vital role in nearly every mission. As these components are critical to the success or failure of each operation, protecting them from damage that may potentially affect performance is essential. Damage occurs in several ways, including exposure to contaminants—such as dust, dirt, water, and other elements—in operating environments. Sealing products, such as sealing hardware and switch boots, can prevent these contaminants from penetrating through to the delicate internal components.
At APM Hexseal, we provide a variety of sealing solutions suitable for use in the defense and aerospace industries. These products protect electronic and electrical systems from damage, ensuring they remain at peak performance for their critical operations.
Applications of Sealing Products in the Military/Defense and Aerospace Industries
Sealing products find use in a wide range of applications throughout the military/defense and aerospace industries.
In the military/defense industry, they are used to create an airtight or watertight seal around enclosure openings to prevent contaminants from entering. Common applications for these protective products include use as:
- Inner/outer seals around doors, windows, and hatches
- Safeguarding personal protective and communication equipment (e.g.,headsets and helmets)
- Protection for interior engine compartments and mechanical systems.
- Vibration mounts for electronic displays
- Protective covers for electronic components on mission-critical systems
In the aerospace industry, protective sealing products similarly protect equipment by keeping environmental contaminants out and necessary process fluids in. Some examples of aerospace equipment they are used in include:
- Communication and navigation systems
- Fuel pumps
- Hydraulic systems
- Metering valves
- Motion control systems
Securing Equipment With Sealing Solutions From APM Hexseal
APM Hexseal provides sealing solutions for military and aerospace applications. Our products are designed and built to withstand the harshest operating conditions. They provide protection from the following:
- Dirt, dust, sand, and other particulates
- Extreme temperatures and temperature fluctuations
- Grease and grime
- Mold and mildew
- Rain, sleet, snow, and wind
- UV radiation exposure
Compared to other sealing products available in the market, our sealing products offer a number of advantages, including:
- Complete 360° protection from external contamination and internal leaks
- Minimal interference with mechanical, electrical, and metal components due to the use of flexible silicone rubber
- Ease of use, as they are easy to install, remove, and are reusable
- Low resource requirements (e.g., investment, maintenance costs, and repair, etc.)
Custom Solutions Designed for Mil-Spec Needs
At APM Hexseal, we’ve provided durable, reliable, and affordable sealing solutions to the military industry since World War II. With over seven decades of experience designing and delivering Mil-spec sealing products, we have knowledge and skills necessary to provide sealing products that meet virtually every need. As required by NASM 82496, we perform operating pressure tests to ensure that our Seelskrews®, comply with military standards.
We have a broad selection of sealing products available to cover and protect mechanical and electronic equipment from environmental contaminants, including self-sealing hardware and sealing boots and bushings.
Our self-sealing hardware solutions include:
The sealing boots and bushings we provide include:
If your mission-critical system requires protection from hostile environments on earth and beyond, we can meet your needs. To learn more about our sealing product offerings or purchase one for an aerospace or military application, contact us or request a quote today.