Founded in 1947, APM Hexseal has provided environmental sealing solutions for over 70 years. We offer a wide range of innovative sealing products for use in industrial and commercial applications. Unlike traditional fasteners, they serve a dual purpose: joining components together and sealing contaminants in/out.
One of our core offerings is self-sealing screws. In this blog post, we provide an overview of these products, highlighting what they are, how they work, and what applications they are used in.
What Is a Self-Sealing Screw?
In many industrial and commercial operations, fasteners are exposed to extreme conditions (e.g., impact or vibration) that may compromise the integrity of the hardware or the assembly. Self-sealing screws—such as our Seelskrew® products—are engineered to serve as a solution to these problems, creating strong joints and seals that hold up to use in even the most demanding environments. They offer the following advantages over traditional fastening and sealing solutions:
- Easier installation. Self-sealing screws form reliable and reusable seals without the need for the application of a separate gasket or sealing compound.
- Better vibration resistance. Self-sealing screws are vibration-resistant, which allows them to withstand normal jarring and repetitive motion. If a higher degree of vibration resistance is required, APM Hexseal offers fastener solutions with additional locking features, such as self-locking pellets, strips, and patches.
- Broader option range. Seelskrews come in a variety of standard thread sizes and with various O-ring elastomer options. Other customizations include specialty thread-forming variations, tamper-resistant drives, thread captivation, and paint and finish options.
How Does a Self-Sealing Screw Work?
Self-sealing screws are ideal for applications where prevention of unintentional fluid flow is critical. They have built-in O-rings that form tight seals once the fastener is fully installed. The seals keep contaminants, such as air, dust, lubricants, water, or other gases and liquids, from leaking into or out of sealed areas within a device or system.
Applications for Self-Sealing Screws
At APM Hexseal, we are committed to providing high-quality sealing solutions for every customer application. Our high-tech sealing products are available with FDA-approved silicone upon request for use in sensitive applications (e.g., medical and pharmaceutical equipment). Our experts will also offer personalized recommendations based on panel characteristics, clearance holes, and other variables related to the customer’s unique application and customize the final product as per their fastening and sealing requirements and restrictions.
While our Seelskrews are well-suited for outdoor and underwater applications, they can be tailored for use in many other industrial and commercial applications, including:
- Automotive components
- Aviation and aerospace components
- Electric, pneumatic, and hydraulic control systems
- Industrial fasteners for infrastructure
- Information and communication structures, cellular towers, and solar panels
- Medical equipment and devices
- Military ground equipment
- Off-road construction equipment
- Sensitive instrumentation
- Surface marine vehicles and equipment
- Underwater and nautical equipment
Self-Sealing Screws, Bolts, and More From APM Hexseal
Want to learn more about self-sealing screws? APM Hexseal is the ideal resource. Equipped with over seven decades of experience providing sealing solutions for demanding environments, we can answer and address any questions or concerns you may have about these products. Ask the experts today.